A Baltimore Beauty

Recently I posted pictures from my Dear Jane Club meeting and several of you commented about a quilt that was in the background in a couple of the pics.  Leave it to quilters on a blog to notice all the background quilts.  Do you notice them in movies too?  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve paused a movie just to see the quilt on the bed.  Or on the wall or a table.  The quilts are often more important than the movie.  I’m sure you quilters out there understand.

So yesterday I decided to get a lot of pictures of the quilt that so many of you noticed.

Isn’t it a beauty?  A Baltimore beauty.  Saturday at Quilter’s Dream was the first in a year long series of classes to make your own personal version of this glorious quilt.  Eighteen ladies showed up for the class with 2 guest teachers who will be at the shop once a month.  It will be a fun year, watching their quilts grow and their technique improve.  I’ll get some pictures of everyone’s blocks as the year moves on so you all can see.  But first you need to see some of these blocks up close.

The appliqué is pretty wonderful, isn’t it?  And the cross-hatch quilting behind each block really sets off the work well.

Beautiful broderie perse.  And if you google those words you can find out more than you ever needed to know about the technique.

Wonderful appliqué using the fabulous border and sashing fabric.

The pineapple in this block was made using a product called “Texture Magic.”  You stitch it to your fabric and then steam the piece and it shrinks and shrivels and becomes a really cool 3-dimensional piece.  It was perfect for that pineapple!

And the large blue flower on this one uses a technique called “ruching.”  This quilt uses lots of three dimensional techniques that give it a ton of character.

I love the symmetry of this block.  And all those blue rosebuds are also 3 dimensional and fabulous!

I’m sure there’s a lot of symbolism in this block.  Each month the gals in the class will learn all about the history of Baltimore Album quilts and the symbolism involved in each block.  I have threatened to stand in the room next to the classroom straightening the bolts of fabric for 2 hours so I can get in on all that they are learning.  It is quite fascinating!

Aren’t the blocks all wonderful?  This is a fabulous quilt for sure.

If I didn’t have deadlines and way too many projects already started, this is one quilt I would love to make.

Love the appliquéd border too!  This focus fabric is really lovely.

And although you may not have known it, Saturday was an official “wearing of the green” day.  We couldn’t believe how many people came into the shop wearing green!  I almost thought they’d moved St Patrick’s Day to a new month.

See?  At one point, out of 10 people in the shop, 7 of them were wearing green shirts!  So we decided to take a picture.  And now you got to see three more pretty quilts on the wall behind these smiling ladies in green shirts.

What color shall we wear next month, Janet?  That’s Janet and me on the far left – we work together on the first Saturday of the month.  And if we show up wearing the same color next month – unplanned like we did today, I’m going to think we really have been spending too much time inside each other’s heads.

Here’s to Baltimore Beauties and green shirts,
Barb

Advertisements
This entry was posted in classes, quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Baltimore Beauty

1. Susan Bancroft says:

You didn’t tell us who made that incredible piece of art…inquiring minds want to know who to envy–LOL! Wow, it’s truly spectacular! (And who quilted it? And please say it will be in the show!) Fabulous work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Barb says:

Sorry! This quilt was made by Teresa – one of the teachers of the class at Quilter’s Dream. I’m sorry, I don’t even know her last name! She lives in Denton and I doubt that it will be in the TVQG Quilt Show. The ladies all had a wonderful time at the class yesterday. I wanted to join them!

• Andrea says:

Her last name is Sherling. Her co-teacher had to be Barb. I thought that was her quilt. Thanks for sharing!!!!

2. Judy Terry Linn says:

Can’t wait to see how the students adapt all this with own colors, etc! Thanks for sharing “A.”

3. Thank-you for taking the pictures of this lovely quilt! If I had just one relative in Texas so I could camp out one night I would come and take the classes! I hope it will be at your show. Will your shop be a vendor so we can purchase some of the fabric?
    Thanks again,
    Liz

• Barb says:

Well, you might just have to find a “stand-in” relative in Texas, Elizabeth! Then you could come and visit us…. Our shop will be a vendor at the quilt show, but I don’t know how long ago this quilt was made. I’m afraid the fabric they used in this one is long gone. The teachers are very helpful in picking out new fabrics with all the students for the quilt. It will sure be fun to see these quilts as they unfold.

4. Peggy says:

Barb, The quilt photographs beautifully and the class is wonderful. Teachers are Teresa Shirling and Barbara McCraw from Denton and our applique group is learning lots and being challenged by them to do far more with Ellie Sienkiewicz type Baltimore Album blocks than I ever imagined I’d be doing! Of course I can speak to this because our Applique Group that meets at Quilter’s Dream has been working with them since Jan. of this year and we are approaching sashing and borders for putting our blocks together. Barbara and Teresa are delightful, knowledgeable, and encouraging and our group has thoroughly enjoyed our workshops with them. I’m sure the group beginning this month at the shop will be looking forward to each and every month for the coming year……………….and what treasures we’ll have when finished!

• Barb says:

Thanks, Peggy for all the details about these two wonderful ladies! We so enjoy having them in the shop and they will be there again on Tuesday with The Applique Society group. Wonderful guest teachers at our shop!

5. Sue says:

I’m looking forward to more! The class was great and I too have too many projects but am taking this on to improve, I’m excited! Oh, and I wore a green shirt to class! Let me know the color for dressing next month!

6. Carol Parker says:

What lovely designs in this appliqued quilt. Good posting job!

7. Cindy Smith says:

What a fabulous quilt. I bow to the one who made that beautiful creation.

8. Connie Thurston says:

Thanks Barb for showing this quilt….it is absolutely gorgeous!! I didn’t know you worked at a quilt shop………which one is it??

9. Jaydee Price says:

Love, love this quilt. Beautiful mix of colors.

What's on your mind today?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s